Andrew McCullough's Blog

Friday, September 05, 2008

Campaign Financing, and voting

September 5, 2008

This week the Salt Lake Tribune reported that the current Attorney General as $241,000 in the bank to about $16,000 for his Democratic opponent. I was not mentioned, though I am a lot closer to her than she is to me. The large amount for the incumbent included several checks for $20,000 apiece. His contributions come from companies and major law firms who may hope to gain some favor someday. Well, I don't have favors to hand out (and it does not look like Ms. Hill does either), but I could sure use some small contributions either by mail or by PayPal. see http://www.andy4ag.com/ to help out with donations, volunteering, etc. And watch for my completely redesigned and upgraded website which will premiere within the next few days. It is quite professional and beautiful. I am working as hard as I can to make a difference in the debate, and I really do need some help. So, even if $5.00 is all you can do, do it now.

The campaign contributions give to the current Attorney General by those who want to curry his favor really are obscene. He says, of course, that influence is not for sale. And, as a defender of free speech, I do not believe in government regulation of such things. But, it sure puts "ordinary people", like both of his opponents, at a terrible disadvantage. On the other hand, Barack Obama and Ron Paul raised large amounts of money this year from many small donors. Those who do not want government paid for by corporate political action committees should take this opportunity to make a small donation to offset them. If enough people do that, the advantage can be diminished.

Last week someone commented on seeing a bumper sticker on my car; and that maybe it was the only one in the whole State. Signs and bumper stickers have been going out this week. E-mail me and I will send you a couple of stickers, or come by and get signs. See my website for other places where they can be picked up, starting this week.

As I talk to people around the State about voting, many tell me that they are convicted felons and cannot vote. Yes, in many states, the opposition is stifled by convicting them of drug possession and then taking away their right to vote. Not in Utah. We consider the right to vote to be sacred here. If you are not registered, once again see my website about how and where to register. That is one less excuse. Those who would oppress us always vote. The least we can do is to do the same. Register yourself and a friend today. General registration closes on October 15, so don't wait.

2 Comments:

  • At 1:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    For the first time i came to know about your views and ideas and i would like to keep in touch with your ideas by visiting this blog regularly and by giving you my comments.

     
  • At 1:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    For the first time i came to know about your views and ideas and i would like to keep in touch with your ideas by visiting this blog regularly and by giving you my comments.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Politics blogs blog search directory Politics Top Blogs