Andrew McCullough's Blog

Thursday, June 26, 2008

The tough life of a Libertarian

June 26, 2008 -- As I have mentioned before, I am now Chair of the Libertarian Party of Utah. Mostly, because nobody else wanted to do the job. It brings with it many frustrations, and today I am going to write about one in particular, because today this frustration is really gnawing at me.

Political Action Committees (PACs) are orgainizations of like-minded people who get together and support candidates with contibutions and help. One of the most active in Utah is that of Equality Utah. A couple of weeks ago, they interviewed many candidates for possible endorsements, contributions and support. Several years ago, I wrote them a letter, when I recieved the invitation to their annual fund raising dinner. I asked if they conceivably would ever support a Libertarian. they were kind enough to reply that it wasn't likely, because they like to back people who might actually win. Needless to say, I did not go to their dinner. Four years ago, however, in my previous campaign for Attorney General, I interviewed with them, and, while they did not formally endorse me, they made a $500 contribution to my campaign. I was thirilled, because in my mind they had "broken the boycott", and given money because I am a good candidate, no matter what party I represent.

So, this year, I went to my intrerview again, and of course I answered the questions the right way. After all, my politics are very much in their favor. I fully support equality; and I am the rare candidate who will say so without reservation. Today I received a call saying that they had decided to use their limited resources in support of another candidate. Actually, I AM disappointed, and a little depressed. I am doing my best to run a credible campaign, and to gather enough resuorces to make my alternative viewpoint heard. After the hopes of four years ago, it is a real letdown. Obviously, they are entitled to do what they think is best for their cause; and I wish them well. They did indicate that their website will give me a favorable rating(maybe not, after they read this), and that they hope individual members may support me. I hope so too, as I believe it is very important to have a real choice in politics. In this race, I am that real choice, as I have staked out positions very different from my opponents. And, of course, I maintain that I have at least as good a chance as the other challenger, who is suffering from low polling numbers and low resources.

So, here is my hope. If you are someone who supports Equality Utah, and you also support me as a real alternative to the current legal establishment, please write me a check today for $100 (I also have PayPal), which is the price of a ticket to the Equality Utah dinner. Please include a note saying that you are an Equality Utah supporter; and please send them a note telling them that you may not make it to the dinner this year, as you have made your contribution directly to the best candidate for Attorney General. If I get just FIVE of you to do this, I will come out even, I will feel much better about life, and I promise I will use the money to rock the boat and to preach freedom.

And PLEASE forward this to others who may support Equality Utah. I need your help to get the word out, more than anything. See my website at http://www.andy4ag.com/ for instructions on how to donate. And watch this space for news of a pending endorsement from another very important civil liberties organization.

4 Comments:

  • At 6:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You should let potential donors know that the Libertarian Party is the fastest growing party in America and has been every year for the past 30 years.

     
  • At 1:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Is this the same gay and lesbian rights-supporting Equality Utah that honored at its annual dinner Utah Attorney Mark Shurtleff ... the same guy who tried to persuade the California Supreme Court earlier this year not to recognize same-sex marriage?

     
  • At 7:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yes, it is the same guy who publicly, and as Attorney General, came out against againt Amendment Three, a big step for a Republican AG. He has not been perfect on glbt issues, but he has done more than other AG's dem or repub. He deserved to be honored. He was categorically wrong to write an amicus brief to the Cal. Supreme Court, and it came to nothing. Jan Grahm (dem) did exactly the same thing during the Vermont marriage/civil union happening. BUT, this same guy Shurtleff wrote to Equality Utah and to the entire glbt community a passionate letter of explanation for his actions. That too inidcates his better side and intentions. The glbt community has a friend in Shurtleff who agrees to talk to us when we call, anytime. That said, I am sending money to Andrew AND buying a ticket to the annual Equality Utah dinner. Politics cannot be a constant barrage of and/or propositions and litmus tests.

     
  • At 7:05 PM, Blogger Andrew McCullough said…

    Thanks, Doug, for the contribution, and I hope it inspires others to do the same. By all means continue to support Equality Utah if it represents you. Your kind words for the current attorney general are, in my opinion misplaced; but I appreciate your viewpoint. Now, let's see if we can get him to publish some nice things about me on his site.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Politics blogs blog search directory Politics Top Blogs