Andrew McCullough's Blog

Saturday, June 21, 2008

The Utah Attorney General

June 21, 2008

First, I am sad to hear that my opponent for Utah Attorney General, Mr. Shurtleff, has just had a sixth round of surgery to repair the fractured leg suffered last fall in a motorcycle accident. I do hope he gets well quick, and that we can can on with our debates and policy disagreements in good spirits.

That said, I am once again sad and frustrated by his office, and once again I am reminded why I am running for this office and why I would like to contribute to the incumbent's defeat in November. Several years ago, a good friend of mine was treated very badly by a UHP officer, who turned her slight speech impediment into evidence of drug impairment while driving, culminating in a strip search in an effort to find the drugs. When we tried to get compensation for this outrageous conduct, the Attorney General's office let us know right away that they had more money, more manpower, and more resources, and would grind us into dust. We did get a small settlement after a trial and two appeals; but my friend and client was mistreated by the system a second time, making it all the worse. Today I have been working on a case where it is clear to me that an Innocent man was imprisoned for several years. Once again, the state's attorneys will do everything possible to avoid him being compensated for his injuries. When an innocent man is treated as poorly by the system as this man is being treated, the Attorney General's office should be attempting to seek justice, not just win. Should I win the office I seek, the Attorney General will not represent solely the state bureaucrats; but will attempt to balance the real interests of the people of this State. More on this case is coming; and in the meantime I ask your help to get my message out that government can be kinder and gentler to its citizens. Justice should be the goal, and not an increase of State power.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Politics blogs blog search directory Politics Top Blogs