Andrew McCullough's Blog

Friday, January 18, 2008

The "current attorney general"

January 18, 2008

Today I received a forward of a comment which appeared on the website of http://www.utahpolicy.com/
ranking our current Utah Attorney General as one of the "safest" in the country, as far as re-election goes:

"Two-term Utah Attorney Genral Mark Shurtleff (R) has ruffled feathers, especially among conservatives, by backing hate crimes legislation, opposing an anti-gay-marriage amendment and, most explosively, prosecuting splinter sects that practice polygamist-arranged marriages with underage girls, a crusade that led to death threats. But many voters respect his prosecutions, and Democrats acknowledge that his seat is not a target."

There are some areas where the current Attorney General and I agree, but he does not understand the Bill of Rights as written into both our national and State Constitutions. Frankly, I would be thrilled if the Democrats do not even put up a "secrifical lamb"against him this year. A race between just him and me would be great fun, emphasizing our massive differences on such things as the Patriot Act, the "war on drugs", and First Amendment freedoms. But, of course, I need lots of support to make it fun. If you haven't downloaded a Libertarian Party ballot petition, pease do so now. If you can send a monetary contribution (up to $50 remains between us), please consider that as well. Let us use this opportunity to really make a statement for freedom. And let's make him feel a little less safe!

More soon.

2 Comments:

  • At 11:12 PM, Blogger Rob said…

    No sacrificial lamb this year Andrew. The Utah Democratic Party is pleased to announce that Jean Welch Hill will be our next Attorney General.

     
  • At 4:08 PM, Blogger Andrew McCullough said…

    Rob -- I'm glad to see that your party shows some confidence. I hope Ms. Hill does well. She has a bone to pick with the current Attorney General, I believe. And I need her to poll close to 33% if I am to sneak in a victory with my own 34%.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Politics blogs blog search directory Politics Top Blogs