Andrew McCullough's Blog

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Recent News

September 11, 2010

First of all, nothing written on this particular day would be complete without mention of that tragic day 9 years ago, which I remember so clearly. I cried for days, perhaps partly because I know the area well, and have friends who live very close to the scene. I applaud the nation's "coming together" as a result of that day. But there has been so much anger and fear. The so-called "Patriot Act" quickly passed in reaction, is a terrible piece of legislation which has made me fear my government more than the "enemy". I hope we will eventually realize that constant paranoia is not the answer to this outrage.

I am going to keep this rather short, as I will include links that I hope you will read, if you have not. The first is an article from Friday's Deseret News about the large political contributions coming into the Governor from those who have State contracts. While I have no reason to doubt the Governor's honesty, I am a little perplexed that he seems not to understand why people would even question these transactions. One of the perks of the office, I guess. Ihave no contracts to hand out, and so my campaign treasury is very small. Read it and come to your own conclusions. http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700064314/Perks-for-campaign-donors.html

The second link I want to insert here is to an article in this week's Salt Lake City Weekly about "Super Trooper" Lisa Steed. The article opens with her using her stun gun on a surprised and frightened motorist almost at the beginning of a stop for a suspected drunk driving incident. The motorist's blood alcohol level turns out to be well within the legal limit. http://www.cityweekly.net/utah/article-12119-utah-highway-patrols-dui-super-trooper-lisa-steed.html The thing that bothers me is that the Highway Patrol has not expressed its displeasure with her tactics, which I think are brutish and irresponsible. If I were elected Governor, requiring law enforcement to be more responsive to the public would be high on my agenda. And an incident like this would result in discipline. If you agree, vote Libertarian.

1 Comments:

  • At 5:36 AM, Blogger Ron Amos said…

    Utah is kind of a strange breed when it comes to politics and governance.

    We have three power centers: The Church which is governed through the veil, Education which is governed by the Board of Regents through the State University system and third Business which is governed through the Chamber of Commerce.

    Nothing happens in Utah without at least the tacit consent of all three.

    A third party can't achieve any real power or effect if it attacks any of the three power centers.

    Sometimes it seems to me as if power is a "Dalek", a three legged robot with a very angry human embryo trapped inside.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Politics blogs blog search directory Politics Top Blogs