Andrew McCullough's Blog

Sunday, October 07, 2012

Send the Message. Let Freedom Ring. October 7, 2012 One month to go before the final election day. Several people who prefer to vote by mail tell me that their ballots have been received. There is still time, however, to register to vote. The deadline to do so is Tuesday in Utah; and it can now be done online through your county clerk or the State election office. There is no excuse not to vote, even though we can pretty much guess the results of major races in Utah. Last time I checked, I had a couple of thousand dollars in the bank, and my Democratic challenger had maybe $12,000 or so. I think the Republican had about $600,000. Not sure why he feels he needs that much; and of course those who donate it do not expect any favors or special considerations. Well, the system is what it is, and we will live with it. I actually have one particular donor who happens to make signs. Late Friday afternoon, I received 500 yard signs, more than I really know what do do with. I do hope that we will get them out wher people can see them, and increase my visibility substnatially. A major downside of running for office as a Libertarian is being unkown and largely invisible. Anyone who can help spread these signs around would be greatly appreciated, especially if you may be traveling form the Salt Lake area to other areas of the State in the near future. And, if you live far from Salt Lake and would be willing to receive and help distribute signs, please let me know. I saw a poll in the Provo Herald this morning that asked about feelings towards early voting. People were asked if they were concerned that they might learn something that could have changed their minds, after they had voted early. About 55% were sure there was nothing that could happen that would change their minds. Well, I guess I am one of those. But it is kinda sad to see so many who are so sure, at a time when I have not had a chance to get more widely known, and before I can explain why they should consider me. Smaller campaigns spread new ideas, and we will continue to do so until election day and beyond. I also saw an article in today's paper about the Salt Lake City police chief's apology to the 76 year old woman whose front door was hit by a battering ram, at night, when she was home alone, and who was held at gunpint while her house was searched. They broke into the wrong house. The Chief says he is sorry, and that there should have been safeguards to prevent this. The thing he did not say is that such raids by narcotics officers are unnecessary and dangerous. That comes after the horrific shootout in Ogden, and after a samll town police chief in New Hampshire was shot and killed in his last week before retirmement, on such raids. The sad fact that government will not admit to us, is that this kind of violence on the part of the police is NOT WIINNING THE WAR ON DRUGS. The war is being lost, and the answer is not more violence; it is to treat drugs as a social and medical problem, not a legal one. As we approach the election, we really do have an opporunity to register our frustration and disagreement. We do not need more state-sponsored violence. We do not need the State telling us what to do, how to think, and what kind of entertainment is OK for us to view. The Utah Democratic Party, in an effort bo become more relevant, has become even less so. Their major candidates this year are uniformly active LDS members, on the conservative edge of their party. In the "Year of Romney" this will not help them get more votes; and it deprives those who believe in a vibrant "two party sytem" of any real choice. Don't get me wrong, this is not an anti-LDS rant. this is being written as I listen to General Conference on the radio. I am a BYU graduate, though I no longer participate. There are major policy reasons for that, but suffice it to say, I do not want a government dominated by those who favor a fusion of church and state. I do not think that something should be illegal because it immoral. I have never had a cup of coffee; but I am not going to tell anyone lese that they cannot have one. This campaign is about freedom from government intrusion into our personal lives. I am running against two people who believe that the State should use whatever means to bring "safety', even at the expense of liberty. If you agree with me, there is still time to get involved and help me send the message. Please do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Politics blogs blog search directory Politics Top Blogs